There are two (2) components of coverage required by General Municipal Law (GML) 205-CC
1) Lump Sum Cancer Benefit and Death Benefit
2) Long-Term Disability (Income Replacement)
Advantages of NYS Volunteer Firefighter Cancer Benefit Program offered by Hartford Insurance: (There are other providers available – read what is offered carefully)
- The Hartford does not require the firefighter to be alive for the lump sum critical illness benefit to trigger. This is important because if someone has a fast-acting cancer and does not have time to submit a claim, their survivors can submit on the firefighter’s behalf. In the event of a firefighter’s death, the Lump Sum Cancer Benefit is paid to his/her estate.
- For the disability benefit, what matters is not your date of diagnosis; instead what matters is your date of disability or the date when you can no longer perform the duties of a volunteer firefighter due to cancer. If your cancer was diagnosed prior to 1/1/19, you may still be eligible for the disability benefit if you are disabled on or after 1/1/19 as a result of that cancer, and provided you were covered under the Program as an active firefighter on 1/1/19, and that your cancer is covered under the contract.
- For the death benefit, what matters is not your date of diagnosis; instead what matters is that your death is a result of complications from cancer and that your death happens on or after the effective date of your coverage provided you were covered under the Program as an active firefighter on 1/1/19, and that your cancer is covered under the contract.
- The Program offers two different cancer coverage plans. The Basic Plan covers the specific severe and less severe cancers listed in the law; GML 205-CC. The Enhanced Plan covers more types of severe and less severe forms of cancer including lung cancer. You can compare the plans and rates for the two definitions during the quoting process.
There may be other plans in the marketplace that do not meet the criteria outlined above. Please be sure that any plan your AHJ chooses to purchase is compliant with all aspects of GML 205 – CC and meet the needs of YOUR members.